If you love to take your dog along but hate holding a leash, then you would love the best hands free dog leash for running.
Do you prefer the ease of hands free technology but have no idea where to look with the endless options on the market today?
Plan out your next run and leave the hard work to us. We’ve checked out the market and have narrowed the field to find the best hands free dog leash for running that will help you and your pooch’s workout hit new strides.
5 Best Hands Free Dog Leash for Running
5 Best Hands Free Dog Leash for Running Reviews
SHINE HAI Retractable Hands Free Dog Leash
- 【Free Your Hands】 Waist wearing makes your hands free while control the dog. The adjustable waist belt could fit the waist from 33″ to 48″, freely use your phone or wheel the buggy without feeling restrained by your dog’s movements.
- 【Strong Dual Bungees Construction】 Dual bungees design help to absorb shock, jerk and lunge from dogs, reduce back strain and the risk of getting hurt.
- 【Extra Handles for Easy Control】 Your dog is in your control, easily pull the dog back to safety with the dual built-in handles. Get a more direct control and prevent dog fights with the collar’s handle.
- 【Visible at Night】 Reflective stitching makes the leash safe to use even in the dark. The leash is visible early in the morning or late at night by reflecting the light, which provides the secure environment of running, walking, jogging with your lovely dog.
- 【MULTIFUNCTIONAL BELT BAG】 The dog running leash comes with a waist bag with 1 water bottle pocket, 1 cell phone pocket,1 key pocket and a dispenser with hole to store a supply of poop bags, dog treats, phone, keys, etc. SHINE HAI hands free dog leash is perfect for walking, running, jogging or hiking with dog, even training dog!
The SHINE HAI Retractable Hands Free Dog Leash with Dual Bungees for Dogs up to 150 lbs was a delight from start to finish. It offers up plenty of additional features that make it an all-around hands free leash rock star including bungee construction absorbed shock like a champ – I have two rambunctious pit bulls that barely rocked me thanks to the bungee.
Despite its strong showing, it did have some slight drawbacks like may be a bit too heavy duty for little guys. My Chihuahua didn’t seem to mind it, but some smaller dogs may find the leash a little too bulky for their liking.
SparklyPets Hands-Free Dog Leash
- ★ Security clips on the belt – Unlike other hands free leashes which can have your dog break free as a result of the belt unlatching, our professional leash has a support mechanism that is designed with 2 stainless steel clasps that take all the tension off the plastic buckle and divide the pulling force to both sides of the belt!
- ★ Made for medium and large dogs -If you have a large dog, you need a leash that absorbs shocks and allows you to control it without breaking stride. Provided with a strong, yet flexible bungee, and stainless steel clips, this hands-free dog leash is perfect for you!
- ★ Perfect Control – Being able to fully control your dog may be crucial, especially when crossing a busy street. The easy grip control handle on the bungee will allow you a firm, yet smooth hold on your dog whenever you need to keep it out of harm’s way!
- ★Hands free or hands-on- Whether you prefer a hands-free leash or a traditional one, we’ve got you covered. Provided with a convenient rubber handle, our professional leash can be switched from hands-free to hands-on in a matter of seconds!
- ★ We stand behind our products – Made from high-quality materials. We are confident in our Hands-Free Dog Leash. In the unlikely event that our dog bungee leash is not right for your pet, don’t hesitate to contact us.
The SparklyPets Hands-Free Dog Leash for Medium and Large Dogs is another solid option for those with larger dogs. It stood up well to my crew aside from the little guys. It wears well, works well, and makes for a great leash thanks to a number of features like dog’s leash extends up to 68 inches for free range of movement but not too much slack.
While this was a solid choice for a number of reasons, there were a few weak spots, namely that some may find the waistband a bit too large which can lead to discomfort if used. Never use a waistband that is too loose. The constant slide against your body can cause irritation.
Paw Lifestyles Retractable Hands Free Dog Leash
Another awesome choice is the Paw Lifestyles Retractable Hands Free Dog Leash. It passed a lot of our tests with flying colors and performed well in the field. It has a lot to love about it, including belt adjusts up to 48 inches and is thicker, which may be more comfortable for some users.
While this leash wowed me with a lot of its offerings, it still had a few areas that may not work for some owners like can be bulky for smaller dogs, a common problem with hands free leashes because of the desire to build a stronger, more durable leash for powerful breeds.
Tuff Mutt Hands Free Dog Leash
- EASY GLIDE BELT CLIP: Hands free leash smoothly slides along the dog running belt so your pup can move from side to side. One of the only dog leashes with this around the waist feature.
- COMFORTABLY RUN WITH YOUR DOG: Walk, run, or hike In front or beside him without stepping on his paws. The no-hands 4-foot lead provides plenty of free space and the bungee leash stretches out to 5 feet.
- BEST FOR MEDIUM/LARGE DOGS: A walking leash for medium dogs and a leash for large dogs that tend to pull. The shock-absorbing bungee around the waist allows you to control your pooch from your core.
- EASILY CONTROL YOUR DOG: Our double handle dog leash allows you to control him without breaking stride. Perfect hip handle placement to guide your dog back on track, or the collar for direct control.
- REFLECTIVE THREAD & QUALITY MATERIAL: A reflective dog leash with bright stitching that runs the length of the leash and an adjustable belt to ensure you stay safe and visible on your evening runs.
The Tuff Mutt Hands Free Dog Leash for Running is another great choice for owners looking to branch into hands free running. Like the others, it performed well in use. It has plenty to love about it including clearly built tough with a strong, heavy construction for large breed running partners.
While I enjoyed this leash for a number of reasons, I also found some glaring drawbacks that would be deal breakers for some users including the 48 inch leash length is ideal for city runners, it can feel restrictive to some users unless your dog tugs it to the maximum 60 inches which isn’t comfortable at all for wearers.
Pet Dreamland Hands Free Leash
- ???? Hands-Free Walks: Walk your furry friend with the dog leash that goes around waist without any discomfort. The dog waist leash is designed specifically for one large dog.
- ???? Comfort and Safety First: The bungee leash design absorbs shocks and protects your pet’s neck from any strain, while the running dog leash hands-free design keeps your hands free for added safety.
- ???? Easy to Use: Our hands free leashes for dogs are easy to use and adjust, so you can have the perfect fit for you and your furry friend. The no pull dog leash has no complicated mechanisms, just simple and effective design.
- ????♀️ Active Owners Rejoice: Whether you love hiking, jogging, or just daily walks, our long bungee dog leash is perfect for you and your furry friend. The around waist dog leash is designed for outdoor activities, so you can enjoy them together.
- ????♀️ All Walks of Life: Whether you’re taking a casual walk or going for a jog, our dog leads for walking are ideal for all types of walks. The dog walking belt is great for pet owners who enjoy outdoor adventures with their beloved pets.
The Pet Dreamland Hands Free Leash is a great option for those with large breed running partners. It was a hit with my eldest pit bull who is all muscle and only one speed – fast. There’s a lot to love about it like it is strong enough for dogs up to 150 lbs. This covers the bulk of large breed dogs. It also offers 59 inches of leash and can be expanded to 76 inches if you desire by untying knots.
While this one had a whole lot to love about it, it did have some areas of concern including thin waistband can be uncomfortable, especially if your dog makes a sudden tug and it digs into your skin at all.
Common Hands Free Running Questions
With anything new you’re bound to have questions. We’ve broken down some FAQs for you to make the decision easier.
What is a Hands Free Leash and How Does It Work?
Running generally involves pumping one’s arms in a continuous motion with each stride, a tug that can be uncomfortable for a dog unless an owner alters their arm’s movement which can be restrictive. A hands free dog leash generally straps to the owner’s torso, allowing for a hands free running experience.
Using a hands free leash can be safer for the owner as well, as a sudden tug on the arm is more likely to lead to a dislocated shoulder or fall as seen in this article by Dr. Sophia Yin.
Are Hands Free Dog Leashes Safe?
Yes, using a hands free leash properly is actually safer for you and your dog. You’re less likely to suffer a fall with the use of a hands free leash, as the leash is typically anchored to your torso. This is your center of gravity and is less likely to be shifted than a sudden yank on your arm.
Also, hand free leashes clip to your body, leaving no worry that you’ll accidentally drop a leash or suffer leash burn on your hand from a sudden pull. If you’re new to running, make sure you slowly work yourself and your dog into the routine. Not all breeds or people are built for marathon running after all.
Finding the Best Hands Free Dog Leash for Running
When you’re embarking on your journey to find the best hands free dog leash for running, you have a number of things to take into consideration including:
You want a leash that’s made of quality materials and made specifically for running. Most are made of a quality nylon which is what you want in a leash, not flimsy fabric or plastic. The best also feature larger carabiner clips, built for securing a running dog up to 100 lbs or more.
The ideal length for you will vary depending on you and your dog’s running style. Some pairs will enjoy longer lengths up to 80 inches if they often run in remote areas for long distances. Others will require a shorter length if they run in populated areas or if their dog is prone to falling behind, leading to slack that owners may trip over.
You want a leash that is going to last. The best leashes are made of all-weather nylon that can withstand water, cold, and heat.
The best leashes are adjustable in nature, allowing owners to customize the fit and length based on their desired run.
Comfort is key with running so make sure the waistband is comfortable for you. Select one that fits you comfortably and isn’t too snug. Too snug of a waistband can cause skin irritation and discomfort.
For early morning or night runners, reflective material is a must to keep you and your pup safe and visible in dim light. Many leashes have a reflective stripe or pattern on them to keep both you and your pup safe.
A quality leash will offer bungee technology, absorbing the force and pull of your dog rather than putting that strain on your body throughout the run. This is especially important if you have a large, powerful breed such as a Malamute. Be warned however, as some dogs exploit the bungee and tug even harder!
How to Train Your Dog with Hands Free Leash?
Training your dog to run with a hands free leash is just like introducing any other new tool or object. Make the experience fun and allow your dog to explore the new leash with their nose through sniffing.
Practice clipping the leash to your dog and walking them the old-fashioned way in a safe, familiar area. This will allow them to get used to any new sights, sounds, and sensations of the leash such as bungee technology.
In time, wear the leash as intended and start small with light jogs until you slowly reach your desired speed. This process will slowly introduce the leash and make for a desirable experience for both of you.
Tips for Running with Your Dog and Hands Free Leash
Running with your dog with the newfound freedom of a hands free leash is wonderful. You and your dog will seamlessly fall into step with one another in no time with proper preparation. As with any run, you want to make sure you pack plenty of water for you and your furry friend as well as start slow.
Warm up both you and your dog’s muscles to avoid strain and injury. You also want to check your dog’s nails and feet to make sure they are in optimal condition. Do not run a dog with an obvious injury or long nails. Long nails can break or crack, causing pain to your dog and potentially needing a vet visit.
Deciding on the Best Hands Free Dog Leash for Running
When we poured over our options, our clear winner was the SHINE HAI Retractable Hands Free Dog Leash with Dual Bungees for Dogs up to 150 lbs. It crossed off the most boxes when it came to durability, comfort, and versatility. The longer length allowed for a more enjoyable run and the belt was the most comfortable for users.
It was strong enough for a rambunctious pit bull but not too clunky for a Pekingese. It was also a clear winner when it came to its reflective properties for low-light usage.
As with any decision, when selecting the best hands free dog leash for running, you want to consider your routine and your dog. If you’re a nighttime runner, reflective materials should be paramount in your decision.
Likewise, if you have a larger breed, you’ll want a leash that can handle the weight of your pup with ease. Enjoy your new adventures with hands free running!