Are you looking for the best dog food for bull terriers?
Many dog owners are not sure what the best food for their dogs is. There are so many options out there that choosing one seems like a challenging task. Do you own a bull terrier and want to feed him in the best possible manner? If yes, then this article is for you.
In this article, you will learn about the best dog food you can offer to your bull terrier. I recently took up a bull terrier as a pet.
While I have been a dog person all my life, I just wasn’t sure if all dogs should be fed the same food or not. This is what led me to look for the best dog food for bull terriers. I wanted my dog to be happy and healthy, and diet plays a significant role in their well being.
Not feeding bull terriers well not only impacts their health but also makes them grumpy. No one wants that in their dogs, especially when they have such friendly dogs as bull terriers. Therefore, looking for the best food for my bull terrier was the best option, and hence, the quest began.
In this article, you will learn everything about the best dog food you can offer to your bull terriers. By the end of this article, you will have a list of the best option you can choose from to give your bull terrier all the nutrition they need. Let’s get started.
5 Best Dog Food for Bull Terriers
5 Best Dog Food for Bull Terriers Reviews
VICTOR Purpose Grain Free Active Dog & Puppy Dry Dog Food
- GRAIN FREE DOG FOOD: This premium high protein dog food is specifically formulated as a gluten free, grain free dry dog food suitable for active dogs of all life stages with allergies or sensitivity to grain
- 33% PROTEIN DRY FOOD: Packed with premium-quality beef, pork and fish meals
- ALL BREEDS, ALL LIFE STAGES: Suitable for all life stages of small dogs, medium dogs and large breed dogs, this premium dog food is an ideal food for pregnant dogs, lactating females and puppies
- PROPRIETARY VPRO BLEND: Every VICTOR dog kibble formula begins with our exclusive mix of supplements, vitamins and minerals that have been designed to help maximize the genetic potential of every dog, regardless of breed, age, or activity level.
- MADE IN THE USA: We proudly produce every bag of VICTOR kibble in our own Texas-based facility and do not waver in our commitment to high-quality nutrition; A majority of ingredients come from ranches, farms and other trusted suppliers who are within a day’s drive of our East Texas plant.
If you are looking for food for sensitive dogs like bull terriers, this is a great choice. It offers an all-around diet that will keep your bull terrier healthy and energetic. This dog food is specially formulated for dogs that have allergies to certain grains or proteins.
It offers the right amount of nutrition to the dogs with high physical demands, such as bull terriers. It is also great for pregnant and lactating females, as well as growing puppies. It perfectly meets their high nutritional needs.
This dog food is also fortified with amino acids, proteins, essential fatty acids, and vitamins. Thus, it offers an overall healthy diet to your bull terriers.
Nutro Wholesome Essentials Large Breed Adult Lamb & Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Contains one (1) 30 lb. bag of NUTRO NATURAL CHOICE Large Breed Adult Dry Dog Food, Lamb & Brown Rice Recipe for large breed dogs ages 18 months and older; real lamb is the ingredient
- Made with non-GMO ingredients; no chicken by-product meal, corn, wheat, or soy
- High quality protein source is the ingredient in the delicious dry kibble
- Designed to help keep your large breed dog trim and fit
- Natural sources of glucosamine and chondroitin; formulated to support healthy joints
Nutro Wholesome Essentials Large Breed Adult Lamb & Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food is also another great food option for your bull terriers. It is made using a de-boned lamb that offers the right amount of proteins to your bull terriers.
It contains plenty of ingredients to give the food a rich flavor and wholesome nutritional value. If you are looking for a dog food that offers a balanced meal, this is a great choice. It also contains omega fatty acids that promote a soft coat and healthy skin.
Thus, it works best for dog breeds with a light coat, such as bull terriers. Bull terriers will love eating this food because of no artificial flavors added to it. It also offers healthy digestion with natural fibers and boosts immunity with essential antioxidants.
Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition Medium Adult Dry Dog Food
- MEDIUM BREED DOG FOOD: Royal Canin Medium Breed Adult Dry Dog Food is precise nutrition specifically made for dogs 1–7 years old weighing 23–55 lb
- IMMUNE SUPPORT: A blend of prebiotics and antioxidants for dogs supports natural defenses for immune support
- SKIN AND COAT HEALTH: Optimal levels of EPA and DHA maintain healthy skin and a healthy dog coat
- HEALTHY DIGESTION: Easy-to-digest proteins and a balanced supply of fiber promote dog digestive health
- SPECIALIZED KIBBLE: Palatable, medium breed adult dog food has an exclusive kibble design to encourage chewing
If you are looking for food for a medium-sized dog, such as a bull terrier, then the Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition Medium Adult Dry Dog Food is a great option. It is fit for indoor dogs as well as hunting dogs. This dog food offers the right combination of nutrients that help dogs with their natural defenses and boost their immunity.
They also get the right amount of nutrients and balanced energy, which helps them maintain a healthy weight. This dog food contains antioxidants and omega 3 fatty acids. This helps keep their skin and coat in the optimal condition.
With Royal Canin, your bull terrier will maintain a healthy weight and get all the necessary nutrients they need for healthy growth and development.
Zignature Limited Ingredient Lamb Formula Dry Dog Food
- Made with high-quality Lamb as the first ingredient which is high in protein.
- Limited ingredient formula
- Rotational diet designed to allow your dog to switch between select Zignature formuals with ease.
- At Zignature, our mission is to make the very best food for your pup. So, we do that by using high-quality meats first and pairing that with a limited ingredient list of healthy and wholesome ingredients. In fact, all of our Zignature Formulas are what we call “Physiologically Tuned”, meaning they’re made to meet the nutritional needs of your pup and satisfy all of their instinctual cravings.
- Single Protein Source
If you are looking for a grain-free dog food option for your bull terrier, then the Zignature Lamb Limited Ingredient Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is a great choice. It is made from farm-raised and fed lamb from New Zealand.
Other ingredients include chickpeas, peas, and flax seeds. With lamb as the main ingredient, your bull terriers will get their protein fix from this food easily. This recipe does not contain wheat, soy, corn, potatoes, and chicken, which are some troublesome ingredients for dogs.
Together with essential fatty acids and antioxidants, this dog food will keep your dog in the best health. Made with well-rounded ingredients and fortified with minerals and vitamins, this dog food will become the favorite of your bull terrier.
Stella & Chewy’s Chicken Dinner Patties Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Food
- Love Is Raw: Our Freeze-Dried Raw dinner patties offer the protein-rich taste dogs crave with the nutrition they deserve
- Irresistible Taste Dogs Love! Made of 95% chicken, organs and bone, such as chicken gizzards. Our cage-free Chicken recipe has an irresistible taste your dog will sure love
- Whole Prey Ingredients: Feeding your pet a diet similar to what their ancestors enjoyed in the wild helps your pet thrive; a raw diet helps support healthy digestion, strong teeth and gums, vibrant skin and coat, and stamina and vitality
- Grain Free: Easy for canines of all life stages to digest, our nutritious, grain-free recipe has NO unnecessary fillers and only the finest ingredients
- Supports Whole Body Health: Fortified with added vitamins and minerals, our Freeze-Dried Raw formula helps improve your dog’s entire well-being, with fiber and probiotics for digestive support and taurine for heart health
If you believe in the philosophy that dogs should eat the same thing that they would eat in the wild, then this dog food is for you. Chewy’s Chicken Dinner Patties Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Food is an all-natural recipe for your bull terriers.
The main ingredient of this dog food is cage-free chicken. It offers the right amount of protein to keep your bull terriers healthy and strong. In addition to chicken meat, the formula also contains chicken bone and organs.
Your dogs will also get nutrition from 100% certified organic vegetables and fruits. This dog food offers convenience and nutrition to bull terriers. If you are looking for a dog food that is closest to nature, then this is a great choice.
What Are the Dietary Requirements of a Bull Terrier?
Most of the dog owners pay a lot of attention to the emotional and social training of their pet dogs. However, keeping a pet requires much more than that. You must pay close attention to what you are feeding your dogs and other pets. In the case of a bull terrier, it is crucial to understand their dietary requirements before you purchase any dog food for them.
Bull terriers are full of energy. Thus, they require a lot of fat and protein in their diet to stay active, playful, and energetic. There are many dog foods in the market that you can buy for your bull terriers. However, not all of them are ideal for your pet. Many ingredients in some common dog foods are harmful to dogs. They don’t serve any purpose to their health and well being.
To keep your bull terriers healthy, their diet must contain real animal protein. In addition to proteins, you should add plenty of vegetables and fruits to their diet.
Avoid giving them food that contains artificial dyes and flavoring. Bull terriers have susceptible skin. The short coat on their bodies doesn’t offer their skin much protection. Thus, they often come across issues like hotspots, even with a minor irritation of their skin. Artificial flavors and colors irritate their skin and should, therefore, be avoided.
Is There Anything Special About Bull Terrier’s Diet?
Bull terriers have susceptible skin. They also have a short coat that exposes their skin to irritation and allergies. However, not all these allergies come from the environment. Artificial colors and flavoring in dog food are one of the main reasons bull terriers face skin irritation. Therefore, when choosing dog food, make sure that it is free from artificial flavors and colors. Otherwise, your bull terrier may suffer some severe allergies.
Bull terriers grow rapidly. They need a lot of fat and protein to keep up with their rapid growth. Therefore, the dog food you choose for your bull terrier must contain an ample amount of proteins and fats. Their diet must contain at least 10% fat and 20% proteins.
You should only give high-quality meat-based food to your bull terriers. This will help them with their physical and cognitive development. It will also keep them in their ideal weight category as too many carbohydrates in their food can make them obese. This exposes them to a host of health issues, such as heart diseases.
How Much and How Often to Feed a Bull Terrier?
Here are some general guidelines you can follow for your bull terrier’s diet.
For a young bull terrier, the diet should be rich in protein and fat. This will help them with their rapid growth and physical changes.
A diet rich in protein and fat will also help them with their adaptation to society. Their growth will also be optimal, which is crucial for their social adaptability as well.
For a puppy bull terrier, their food should contain at least 20% protein and 10% fat content. Give bull terrier puppies 2-3 cups of dog food divided into two meals a day.
Watch the following video on feeding raw food to a Bull Terrier puppy.
Adult bull terriers may require 3-4 cups of feeding each day. The amount of food they eat depends on their size and the level of activity.
All adult dogs don’t need the same amount of food. Offering them too much or force-feeding them can lead to obesity, which can be a problem for bull terriers.
Keep an eye on their weight and change the number of feedings accordingly. You should also limit table food, canned food, and treats to prevent them from putting on too much weight.
The level of activity of a bull terrier decreases when they reach seven or eight years of age. They will also put on a few pounds. You should reduce the number of daily feedings for senior bull terriers.
However, it is essential to offer them high-quality food only. Their food must contain real meat-based protein. You can also consider putting them on senior dog feed, which is commonly available at dog feed shops. Senior bull terriers should be given 2-4 cups of meals, depending on their weight and activity.
What Type of Food Is Good or Bad for Bull Terriers?
As mentioned before, bull terriers need a lot of protein and fat in their diet. They are very active and energetic dogs and need the right amount of nutrients to keep them healthy. Bull terriers eat dry, wet, or combination food.
However, every dog has its preference when it comes to the food they eat. Therefore, you may need to try different combinations to find out what your dog likes.
Add real meat-based protein to the diet of your bull terriers. It will help them get the right amount of protein, which will keep them active and healthy.
Which Ingredients to Avoid When Buying Dog Food for Bull Terriers?
As mentioned before, bull terriers have very sensitive skin and digestive system. The food they eat should be free from artificial preservatives, dyes, and flavors. Therefore, when you are buying dog food for your bull terriers, make sure that it is free from all kinds of artificial flavors and preservatives.
If your bull terrier walks away from food or throws up after eating it, then these are signs that they don’t like the food you are offering them. You may want to change the dog food to keep the dogs healthy. On the other hand, if your bull terrier devours the food and keeps asking for more, it is a clear sign that they love their food. You can continue offering them the same food.
It is vital to keep an eye on their weight and activity to ensure that your bull terriers are getting the required amount of nutrition.
Getting the Best Dog Food for Bull Terriers
It is imperative to feed your dog the right kind of dog food. This will keep them healthy, active, and energetic. In this article, we shed light on the best dog foods for bull terriers.
If you have bull terriers at your home, make sure you offer them the best dog food free from artificial preservatives, colors, and flavors. This will prevent any allergies and digestive issues in them.
It is essential to find out the best ingredients and nutrients your dog needs. With this information, you can keep your bull terriers healthy, strong, energetic, and active.
- Admin. “Bull Terrier Dog Breed Information.” American Kennel Club, 6 Nov. 2017, www.akc.org/dog-breeds/bull-terrier/.
- Green, Sean. “9 Best Bull Terrier Dog Foods Plus Top Brands For Puppies & Seniors.” Breedsy, 22 July 2019, breedsy.com/best-bull-terrier-dog-food/.
- Jones, Ryan. “Feeding a Bull Terrier Puppy – Feeding Routines and Quantities.” The Happy Puppy Site, 18 Mar. 2019, thehappypuppysite.com/feeding-a-bull-terrier-puppy/.
- Mary. “9 Best (Healthiest) Dog Foods For Bull Terriers in 2020.” Dog Food Guide, 12 Nov. 2019, dogfood.guide/bull-terriers/.
- “Recommended Dry Food for Bull Terriers.” Strictly Bull Terriers, Jan. 2012, bulliesofnc.com/BTforum/discussion/11/recommended-dry-food-for-bull-terriers.