If you’re looking for the best dog food for American Bulldogs, then this is the guide you want to read.
For people who are enthusiastic about dog sports, the most sought after dog breed is none other than the American Bulldog. By birth, these dogs are healthy and muscular and have an innate liking for competitive sport. As a responsible dog owner, your job is to make sure your dog stays healthy and fit.
An American Bulldog, bred specifically for dog sports or performing other arduous tasks, should consume the right mix of fiber and protein.
It may seem easy, but choosing the right dog food for your pooch can be a lot more than stopping by the pet section in your supermarket and throwing a few bags of Pedigree in the trolley with other grocery items. So, how can you choose the best dog food for your American Bulldog?
In the marketplace, you will come across several high-quality dog food brands for your American Bulldog. Therefore, we have put together a list of dog food brands that may be suitable for your four-legged friend.
For each brand, we have discussed in detail the flavor as well as the nutritional information. The following details will serve as a useful buyer’s guide, help you zero in on the best dog food for American Bulldogs, and help you make your decision.
So, let’s begin.
5 Best Dog Food for American Bulldogs
5 Best Dog Food for American Bulldogs Reviews
Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Bulldog Adult Dry Dog Food
- FORMULATED FOR PUREBRED BULLDOGS: Royal Canin Bulldog Adult Dry Dog Food is designed to meet the nutritional needs of purebred Bulldogs 12 months and older
- SPECIALIZED KIBBLE: Unique kibble shape helps Bulldogs easily pick up and chew their food
- OPTIMAL STOOL: Highly digestible proteins, precise fiber, and high-quality carbohydrate sources help reduce gas and stool odor
- SKIN AND COAT: Delivers skin support with essential nutrients for healthy skin and coat
- BONE AND JOINT: EPA and DHA support short, stocky bodies and provides bone & joint support
The Royal Canin dry dog food for adult bulldogs is one of the best dog foods out there. It comes in bags of three different sizes, i.e., 30 pounds, 17 pounds, and 6 pounds. This dog food comes in chicken flavor and contains natural ingredients that are perfect for fulfilling the nutritional needs of grownup American Bulldogs.
That’s right; the nutrients packed within this wholesome diet are entirely sufficient for American Bulldogs aged 12 months and above. Furthermore, the smaller kibble makes it easy for your canine to chew and swallow.
The ingredients this product contains can reduce the odor in your dog’s stool and keep them from becoming gassy. Moreover, this product supports the skin of your dog and keeps its fur coat shiny and soft.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe with Red Meat Dry Dog Food
- PACKED WITH REAL BEEF: A recipe inspired by the Rocky Mountains, this high protein dog food features a blend of red meat to satisfy your dog’s wild side while helping build and maintain lean muscle mass
- HEALTHY INGREDIENTS: Blue Wilderness grain free dog food, made with healthy carbohydrates including sweet potatoes and peas, helps fuel your adult dog’s active lifestyle; It also contains omega 3 & 6 fatty acids to support skin and coat health
- ANTIOXIDANT-RICH LIFESOURCE BITS: A precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists to support immune system health, life stage needs and a healthy oxidative balance
- A NATURAL DOG FOOD: Blue dry dog food is made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals; Blue contains No chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives
- Contains one (1) 22-lb bag of Blue Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe High Protein Natural Adult Dry Dog Food, Red Meat
Next on our list of the best dog foods for American Bulldogs is the Blue Buffalo Wilderness. All the ingredients used to make this dog food are natural and perfect for your dog’s dietary needs. In the dry kibble form, it can be a great long term food solution for your canine.
This product contains the perfect combination of red meat and vegetables, which add to its overall nutritional value. The vegetables added to this concoction are brought straight from the fields where they grow.
Another good thing about this dog food is that it is free from any empty calories, and each bite that your dog takes provides them with 100% nutrition and nothing else.
Purina ONE SmartBlend True Instinct with Real Salmon & Tuna Adult Dry Dog Food
- One (1) 27.5 lb. Bag – Purina ONE High Protein, Natural Dry Dog Food, True Instinct With Real Salmon & Tuna
- Salmon is number 1 ingredient in this dry dog food with tuna to help deliver 30 percent protein that helps support strong muscles, including a healthy heart
- Purina ONE natural dog food with added vitamins, minerals and nutrients crafted by a veterinarian-recommended brand in Purina-owned, U.S. facilities
- 100 percent nutrition for adult dogs, 0 percent fillers. Every ingredient has a purpose
- Dry dog food for skin and coat care includes omega-6 fatty acids and natural sources of glucosamine for joint health for dogs plus four antioxidant sources to help support a strong immune system
If you want to give your dog the right punch of protein without exceeding your budget, the Purina One Smart Blend is the dog food for you. Containing Salmon, Tuna, and healthy oils, this dog food is the perfect blend of nutrition your dog needs.
Some of the ingredients contained within this product include whole grain wheat, beef, and fish fat, chicken meal, oatmeal, and fish oil.
This dog food provides proteins, but it also contains omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. As a result, the skin and the fur coat of your dog remain healthy and soft.
Crave with Protein from Chicken Adult Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- Contains one (1) 22 lb. bag of CRAVE High Protein Adult Grain Free With Protein from Chicken All Natural Dog Food Plus Vitamins, Minerals, and Other Nutrients
- Inspired by the diets of their wolf ancestors, CRAVE adult dog food is made with real ingredients including high-quality animal protein and the full meaty flavor dogs love
- Satisfies a dog’s natural desire for animal protein with real chicken as the first ingredient
- Supports a strong, lean body with 34% high protein
- Dry grain free dog food recipe formulated with no corn, wheat, or soy and no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives and zero grain
This rich dog food contains everything your dog needs. Your cute dog might have been domesticated, but you cannot deny that it has descended from the family of wolves. Therefore, it requires a diet that is rich in real animal protein. The primary ingredient in this product is chicken, which is 100% farm-raised.
Furthermore, this product doesn’t contain any unhealthy by-products like soy, wheat, corn, artificial colors, and artificial flavors. Moreover, this dog food is suitable for dogs of all sizes and breeds, which is excellent.
The nutrients contained within this wholesome product help your dog attain a healthy and lean body. Besides that, this dog food helps your dog stay fit and active and strengthens their immune system, thus keeping diseases at bay.
Diamond Naturals Skin & Coat Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- High quality protein made with wild caught salmon and zero grains, designed for all life stages, optimal amino acid profile for LEAN, STRONG MUSCLES
- Premium ingredients with added vitamins & minerals; superfoods for hard-working antioxidants; fatty acids for skin & coat; essential hypoallergenic ingredients
- Nutrient rich and HIGHLY digestible with PROPRIETARY, species specific, probiotics that survive and thrive in the GI tract; at levels
- Family owned & run, MADE in the USA choosing ingredients from TRUSTED, SUSTAINABLE sources around the world; Call with questions 800 442 0402
- No corn, wheat, filler; NO ARTIFICIAL flavors, colors, or preservatives added; made with scientifically advanced food safety protocols
Contrary to popular belief, high-quality dog food doesn’t necessarily have to be pricey. If you are looking for a wholesome formula that benefits your dog’s skin, prevents hair loss, and is cost-friendly, Diamond Natural Skin Coat Formula is the product for you.
The primary ingredient in this splendid dog food is salmon. It also contains fish meat, which is an excellent source of animal protein. It also has the right blend of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids. It also contains naturally occurring microorganisms and prebiotics, which ease the digestion process.
All in all, this is the perfect blend of fat and protein that your dog needs to stay healthy.
Is There Anything So Special About American Bulldog Diet?
Just like any other breed of dogs, American Bulldogs also love food. They like to dip their teeth into whatever they can find. Their love for food can be a little problematic, as it can harm their gut. Here are some particular feeding guidelines for American Bulldogs.
For proper growth, an American bulldog puppy must be fed a couple of times during the day. The natural appetite of a puppy is far more than that of a fully grown dog.
Therefore, you should feed your pup at least three to four cups of food a day. However, it is better not to go with the portions printed on the packaging, as they differ from one brand to another. However, consulting a vet might just help.
After a dog has crossed the six-month age limit, it should follow the adult diet regimen. However, that doesn’t mean that they can eat as much as they want to. Eating too much and too fast can make your dog sick, and that is the last thing you’d want. To keep you American Bulldog healthy and active, make sure you schedule their meals
The bones and joints of your American Bulldog can suffer when they are overweight. You need to monitor your dog’s weight from a very young age. Unfortunately, bulldogs have wrinkles, which often masks their flab. If you can touch your dog’s body, and feel the ribs without squeezing too hard, your dog is pretty good. If not, you need to minimize the portions it consumes.
Do not give your dog too many treats, or its stomach will suffer. Make sure your dog earns his treats as a reward.
How Much and How Often Should You Feed an American Bulldog?
While an American Bulldog is just a puppy, it should be given twice the food a grownup dog eats until it is 4 months old. As long your puppy is less than 4 months old, it should be fed 4 times during the day. You should feed your pup three cups of food four times a day.
When your dog crosses the month age limit, it should be fed 2 cups of food, thrice a day. By the time your dog reaches adulthood, it should be fed only twice a day. It doesn’t matter whether you are feeding your homemade dog food or packed dog food as long as you give it the right portions.
Watch this video below on feeding an American Bulldog.
What Type of Food is Good or Bad for American Bulldogs?
One cannot conclusively say whether or not dry dog food is better than its wet counterpart. In the following paragraphs, we will discuss the pros and cons of dry and wet dog food.
- It is readily available and easy to feed.
- It is easy to store and is convenient while you aren’t there.
- Several options to choose from, especially when it comes to budget and nutrition.
- Different formulas are available for different breeds and ages.
- Can be carried in a bag or a pouch.
- Perfect for dogs and their owners who have a quick and active lifestyle.
- Different kibble varieties are available, depending upon a dog’s weight and size.
- Easy to clean, as most dogs are sloppy and messy eaters.
- A lot of low-quality brands are available.
- The nutrition facts printed on the packaging aren’t always 100% true.
- It is sometimes delivered late and is therefore stale and hard.
- Some manufacturers compromise their quality for profits.
- The American Feed Control doesn’t regulate some brands.
- Some dry dog food brands can affect your dog’s stomach while making them bloat.
- It sometimes contains cheap chicken by-products, which are detrimental to a dog’s health.
- The aroma of wet dog food is more appealing to dogs.
- It is less processed, and its aroma, taste, and texture resemble that of natural food.
- It has more water, which makes it far more hydrating when compared to kibble.
- It serves as the perfect option for dogs that don’t drink too much water.
- It is even suitable for dogs with food sensitivities and allergies.
- It tends to go bad after it has been opened, so it needs to be refrigerated right after the packaging is opened.
- Wet food can be very problematic, as dogs are naturally messy eaters.
What Ingredients to Look For in the Best Dog Food For American Bulldogs?
Here are ingredients that should be present in your American Bulldog’s diet.
Chicken is a rich source of protein, and it also contains omega fatty acids. It is beneficial for your dog’s skin health as well as its coat of fur. Furthermore, the amino acids strengthen your dog’s bones
Beef is affordable, and it is also a rich source of zinc, protein, iron and vitamin B2, B3, and Vitamin B6.
Not only is fish a rich source of proteins, but it is also abundant in omega oil and contains a variety of vitamins and minerals. Furthermore, fish is rich in Omega 3s, which makes it the perfect choice for dogs that suffer from allergies.
Fruits like apples, bananas, apricots, blueberries, and apricots are perfect for dogs. However, more sugary fruits should only be fed in smaller quantities as they can result in lethargy and obesity. Similarly, never feed citrus fruits to your dog, as it can cause an upset stomach.
Vegetables like broccoli, cabbage carrots, and Brussels sprouts are healthy for dogs. Besides the nutritional value, these vegetables are easy to eat, especially when they are cooked. However, never feed your dog onions and garlic as they can be toxic.
What Ingredients to Avoid When Buying Dog Food For American Bulldogs?
Now, let’s take a look at some of the ingredients that you should avoid when buying dog food.
- Soy, gluten, wheat, and grains
- Anything that has too many carbohydrates
Signs Your Dog Likes a Food Type
- Jumps around in excitement
- Wags its tail
- Drools excessively
- Eats quickly
- Digs deep into the food bowl
Signs Your Dog Doesn’t Like a Food Type
- Refuses to eat
- Eats too slow
- Sticks its nose in the food to inspect
Are American Bulldogs Picky Eaters?
Your American Bulldog can be a picky and fussy eater just like yourself. However, there is nothing to worry about. As a responsible dog owner, you need to be reasonably patient.
Make sure you feed your dog a balanced diet regularly. Make sure you add the same ingredients every time. Only then will the dog recognize the taste and develop a liking for it.
Furthermore, refrain from feeding too many treats to your dog to stick to a balanced meal. Too many treats affect not only your dog’s stomach but also their eating habits.
Getting the Best Dog Food for American Bulldogs
In this article, we discussed 5 of the best dog foods for American Bulldogs. Your job is to make sure you pick the one that is delicious for your dog and fulfills all of its nutritional needs.
Make sure you take your dog to the vet regularly and do not skimp on necessary medical checkups. Also, make sure your dog gets enough exercise so that it can digest its meals and develop healthy bones and muscles.
Lastly, feed your dog at the right time and the right proportions and do not spoil it by treating it unnecessarily.
Best of luck!
- “American Bulldog Breed Information and Pictures.” PetGuide, 8 June 2019, www.petguide.com/breeds/dog/american-bulldog/.
- “Diamond Naturals Skin & Coat Formula All Life Stages Grain-Free Salmon and Potato Dry Dog Food, 30 Pounds.” PetSuppliesPlus.com, www.petsuppliesplus.com/shopping/diamond-naturals-skin-coat-formula-all-life-stages-grain-free-salmon-and-potato/16032?sku=074198613847.
- “Fruits and Veggies for Pets.” Healthy Fruits and Veggies for Pets – Trupanion Pet Care, trupanion.com/pet-care/fruits-and-veggies-for-pets.
- Mary. “10 Best Dog Foods for Hair Loss in Dogs in 2020.” Dog Food Guide, 28 May 2020, dogfood.guide/hairloss/.
- Team, Pets. “The Truth about Chicken and Chicken by-Products in Pet Food.” Pets Magazine, 12 May 2012, www.petsmagazine.com.sg/wellness/food/222/the-truth-about-chicken-and-chicken-by-products-in-pet-food.