First of all, German Shepherds are large, strong, and very active dogs. Secondly, that is why a good dog harness for them must meet several important requirements: it must be strong, durable, and tear-resistant.
Commonly, owners of German Shepherds opt for dog harnesses made of durable (reinforced) nylon or thick leather.
At the same time, the best German Shepherd dog harness must be large enough to fit a 50-70-lb animal and not cause any discomfort to it.
Finally, an ideal dog harness should be breathable. Moreover, German Shepherds are thick-coated dogs, so they can be overheated if the harness doesn’t let air through.
However, choosing the right German Shepherd dog harness is as important as choosing the best German Shepherd dog houses.
Besides, we’ve compared dozens of dog harness brands to single out the ones that are perfect for German Shepherds. Lastly, keep on reading for details.
Best German Shepherd Dog Harness: WINSEE
- 【XL Dog Harness with Lockable Collar】 Adjustable Neck Girth: 21-33 inch, Chest Girth: 24-49 inch. Recommended Breeds: Large size dogs like Anatolian...
- 【Reflective Straps & Sturdy Handle】Reflective straps of this easy control harness ensure your dog’s safety while out for a walk even at night; Sturdy...
- 【Adjustable & Customizable Neck And Chest Girth Fit】The fit of this pet harness can be completely customized for your pet using the slide adjusters at...
Firstly, our top choice is an XL dog harness by WINSEE that is created for large and very large dogs. Secondly, apart from being one of the best German Shepherd dogs harnesses in terms of price/quality ratio.
Moreover, it has some cool features that make it stand out of the crowd. In addition, a no-pull feature, consisting of two D-rings, is useful for the owners of very active and stubborn pups.
Meanwhile, by attaching the second leash to the chest D-ring, you’ll get extra control over the dog.
Furthermore, this German Shepherd dog harness is made of dense 1680D Oxford fabric and durable nylon straps with reflective strips. Besides, the kit also includes a strong lockable collar with a sturdy D-ring.
Meanwhile, this harness for German Shepherds comes in five colors: black, orange, pink, blue, and ACU and four sizes – from S to XL. Lastly, the XL option is the thickest and the widest, so you should give it a try.
Best No-Pull Harnesses for German Shepherd
Best No-Pull German Shepherd Harness: Dean & Tyler
- Easy to put on and take off
- Perfect for any weather
First of all, those looking for the best no-pull German Shepherd dog harness may consider the option with three D-rings by Dean & Tyler.
Secondly, apart from the main D-ring on the back, this dog harness features two side D-rings for attaching additional leashes.
Meanwhile, such a construction provides maximum control over a rushing dog. Additionally, there is a durable nylon handle right on the back.
In addition, the no-pull German Shepherd dog harness is fully adjustable and comes in six sizes.
Furthermore, it is very easy to put on and take off, and reliable buckles provide excellent fixation.
Meanwhile, you can use it in any weather, as the durable nylon material is resistant to water, sunlight, and frost.
Besides, its ease of use, versatility, and convenience make this Dean & Tyler kit one of the best no-pull German Shepherd dogs harnesses around.
German Shepherd No-Pull Harness: Kurgo Tru-Fit
- Everyday Dog Harness - Comfortable, lightweight walking harness with 5 easy adjustable points and plastic quick release buckles to make it easy to take on...
- No-Pull Training Clip - Pet harness has a front D-Ring to use as leash attachment to train dogs not to pull; it will turn them around when try to pull;...
- Includes Dog seat belt - Comes with dog seat belt 10-inch tether that can be used during car travel as a pet seat belt to restrain dogs and prevent...
Inexpensive and straightforward – this German shepherd no-pull harness by Kurgo is a great option for everyday walks.
Despite its minimalistic design, the German Shepherd harness is comfortable for a dog, thanks to the soft padded plate on the chest. Moreover, the straps are made of durable stitched nylon.
However, this dog harness features an extra D-ring on the chest, which provides better control over the active pups. Meanwhile, both loops are fully adjustable.
Moreover, this German Shepherd dog harness comes in five sizes, so it fits all dogs. In addition to German Shepherds, the large and extra-large sizes are recommended.
Furthermore, the kit includes a dog seat belt, which comes in handy when you have to travel by car with your pooch. Besides, the belt provides a reliable fixation of a dog, which means it won’t distract your attention during driving.
Shepherd No-Pull Harness: Babyltrl
- Large size: Chest Girth 22-32 inch. Perfect harness for large dogs, but also fits well for medium dogs, like golden retriever, labrador, german shepherd,...
- No pull design: Pulling pressure is evenly distributed to the body to prevent Pulling and Choking. Our dog vest harness comes with 100% Satisfaction...
- Easy to wear & locking Security: This pet harness with simple design and quick snap buckles which make it easy to put on and take off. Locking feature on...
First of all, a distinctive feature of this Shepherd no-pull harness by Babyltrl is a convenient snap-buckle design, which makes it incredibly easy to put on and take off.
Moreover, thanks to the combination of soft, breathable padding and sturdy nylon straps, the dog harness is lightweight but strong and long-lasting.
However, it can be used for quiet walks, training, hiking, and working with dogs of any size. In addition, an extra D-ring on the chest helps prevent excessive pulling.
Further, this Shepherd no-pull harness is available in four colors – black, pink, orange, and camo, so it can serve as a fashion accessory as well.
Besides, all the straps are double-stitched, while reflective elements on them improve visibility in dark conditions.
Similarly, both loops are easy to adjust, so fitting is not a problem. Lastly, it comes in five sizes – S through XL – are available.
Best German Shepherd Tactical Harnesses
Best German Shepherd Tactical Harness: Rabbitgoo
- ▶ Large Dog Molle Vest◀ Neck Girth: 24.8” - 34.6” (63 - 88cm), Chest Girth: 31.5” - 41.3” (80 - 105cm),Belly Length: 13.3” - 17.7” (34 -...
- ▶ Military-standard Material◀ Heavy duty vest made of 1050D Nylon with sturdy stitching for extra durability and wearability, suitable for all field...
- ▶ Practical Design For Versatile use◀ Molle system equipped on both sides for pouches, water bottles, and dog tactical gears. Multiple Hook & Loop...
Firstly, Rabbitgoo professional vest-style dog harness is our top choice in the best German Shepherd tactical harness category. Secondly, it is designed especially for military, police, and service dogs for use in harsh conditions.
However, you can use it for walking, hiking, or training your German Shepherd dog as well. Meanwhile, the vest itself is made of ultra-strong military-class fabric and 1050D nylon.
At the same time, the German Shepherd tactical harness category has soft breathing linen, which lets your pup feel comfortable with a harness on it all day long.
In addition, Heavy-duty metal buckles are extremely durable, while the second D-ring on the chest adds versatility. Additionally, there is a reliably stitched handle on the back, for the most secure grip.
Besides, the MOLLE system allows you to carry extra accessories, such as water bottles, pockets, pouches – they can be attached from both sides.
German Shepherd Military Harness: IceFang
- [Tips & Care instruction]:1:This Harness is not to be used with a tie out ; 2,Please refer to our size chart,Make sure match up your dog's measurement ,Do...
- [Molle /PALs ] :Two 1" Strips of Molle (XS:3 x Hook & 2 x Loop ; Small:4 x Hook & 2 x Loop ; Medium/Large/X-large: 5 x Hook & 2 x Loop ) Sewn Onto Both...
- [2X METAL BUCKLE]: 2xMetal Buckle (1000 lb Proof-Load Test ) on Dog Shoulder Position which the most Load Bearing Point When Dog Pulling, Stitching by...
First, IceFang offers another top-class German shepherd military harness. Secondly, being made of military-grade fabric and ultra-dense nylon, it can be worn in various conditions.
Meanwhile, this dog harness is jacket-style, which means it provides maximum body coverage.
Similarly, all the loops are fully adjustable; shoulder buckles are metal, and the buckles on the belly loops are made of sturdy plastic.
Moreover, this German shepherd military harness features a double-stitched strong handle, two V-rings on the back, and one D-ring on the chest.
Furthermore, it has an integrated MOLLE system, consisting of three hook-and-loop panels, which allows using the harness for carrying small objects and gear.
Besides, IceFang German Shepherd military harness is currently available in three sizes and fits all dog breeds. Lastly, it is great for hiking, hunting, walking, and training.
German Shepherd Hunting Harness: EJG
- ✔ !Please measure your dogs size before purchasing! Keeps the dog from pulling - Pulling from the neck alone can cause injury to your dog. With this...
- ✔ Velcro areas for visual indication while out in the wilderness - It features Velcro areas along both sides, which is great for adding patches, badges,...
- ✔ Four quick-release buckles - Quick-release buckles make the vest super easy to clip on and remove.
First of all, EJG heavy-duty German Shepherd hunting harness is a great solution for the owners of large active dogs, as it combines improved versatility, durability, and comfort.
However, it comes in three sizes – M through XL – and two colors – black and tan. Meanwhile, Dense 1000-D nylon, in combination with breathable padding, makes the harness lightweight and comfortable enough to wear all day long.
Additionally, the heavy-duty German Shepherd hunting harness features two D-rings for better control of pulling dogs. Further, four quick-release buckles are plastic, not metal, though they seem rather sturdy.
Also, unlike the previous German Shepherd harness reviewed, this one has only one belly loop, instead of two. More large dog harnesses in DogPages dog harness review.
Besides, the MOLLE system that includes two panels on the sides is intended for attaching small objects like water bottles that need to be transported.
Additionally, there is an X-bundle on the back, which can be used for attaching an extra bottle or another tube-shaped object.
Best Leather Harnesses for German Shepherd
Best Leather Harness for German Shepherd: Didog
- Material:Made of soft leather,Solid and Durable.
- Collar M:2 inches width ,neck for 17-20 inch
- Harness Neck for 17.5-23.5 inch, Chest for 26-34 inch
Firstly, if you prefer leather to other materials, Didog Leather Spiked Dog Harness can be a decent option for your pup. Secondly, it is an unusual solution in the category of the best leather harnesses for German Shepherds.
However, it stands out for its unusual spiked design, which looks very effective. Meanwhile, the kit includes three items – a vest-style harness, a collar, and a chain with a handle strap.
In addition, both the collar and the harness are adjustable and feature metal buckles for easy fitting. That said, this leather German Shepherd harness is definitely less sturdy than military or classic nylon vests.
However, you need to keep in mind that is it not a good option for training, hunting, hiking, or other types of activities where you may need to pull the leash hard.
Instead, it is intended for walking with well-trained dogs. Also, the chain is a sort of flimsy, so we recommend replacing it with a conventional leash.
Besides, the leather harnesses for German Shepherd is available in five colors – black, brown, coffee, pink, and white.
German Shepherd Leather Vest Harness: Pet Artist
- ▶Handcraft Leather Dog Harness:Made of strong and durable genuine leather,heavy duty but also light,made to last long
- ▶Adjustment:With 3 adjustable straps,fit most small medium to large breed dogs,Please measure your dog carefully to insure this is the correct harness...
- ▶Features nickel-plated hardware:Heavy duty O-ring, and metal-enforced eyelets,Trimmed with contrast color thick waxed thread and riveted for extra...
First, Pet Artist is a well-made German Shepherd leather vest harness that is chosen by GSD owners, not without reason.
Secondly, it is made of thick and strong genuine leather, and all the buckles, rivets, and rings are metal (nickel-plated). However, the vest is very easy to put on and fit; both loops are adjustable and have four positions.
Meanwhile, the German Shepherd leather vest harness is designed for medium to large dog breeds and comes in three sizes.
In addition, it doesn’t offer a traditional no-pull feature; however, there are two O-rings on the back, which add some flexibility in terms of leash attaching.
Additionally, it has a strong leather handle for better dog control. Besides, among other things, this German Shepherd harness looks cool and stylish.
Finally, this is a great option for medium-sized and large dogs, including German Shepherds.
Spiked Harness for German Shepherd: Mtinfly
- ★Adjustable chest strip, allow your dogs to have relaxed movement of muscles
- ★Locking release buckle free conversion lock and open, you don’t be afraid of your dog get rid of the strip
- ★It is complete with heavy duty adjustable buckles, and a D-Ring to easily attach your dog’s lead
First of all, looking for the best price/quality ratio, you may be attracted by a low-budget spiked harness for a German Shepherd from Mtinfly. Secondly, it is made of PU leather (not genuine) of high quality.
However, the dog harness comes in the form of a vest and is available in black and brown colors. It consists of two fully adjustable loops connected with a back strap and an adjustable chest strap.
Moreover, you can adjust the neck and the chest straps separately by choosing one of the four positions. That said, this Spiked harness for a German Shepherd comes in only one size, so it fits just some dog breeds.
However, the neck girth must fall in the range of 16.5-25.6 inches and the chest girth – from 25.6-33.5 inches. Further, the release buckles are metal and feel rather sturdy.
Thanks to metal spikes all around the chest plate, the dog harness looks unusual and very stylish. Besides, the spikes are slightly rounded, so they are safe for both a dog and those close to it.
Finally, along with a dog hoodie for German Shepherds, it can serve as a fashionable accessory.
German Shepherd Handle Dog Harnesses
Best Handle Dog Harness for German Shepherd: YogaDog
- EXTRA DURABLE HARNESS - Fit dogs with 32-47 inch chest (Measure the widest part of the dog's chest, choose the larger size if fall between two sizes). Made...
- SPECIAL ELASTIC HANDLE DESIGN - Padded handle with extended integrated short leash, good for pulling instinct inhibition. Extensible elastic leash can...
- SUPER COMFORTABLE - Soft ventilate padding, comfortable for breast and backside, no harm to dog's skin. Handle connecting with front chest strap provides...
When it comes to looking for the best handle dog harness for German shepherd dogs, YogaDog is the number one brand to consider.
Firstly, it is more comfortable for dogs with a sensitive or injured neck if compared to a usual collar.
Secondly, they help to prevent pulling and deal with stubborn and very active pups. Along with a traditional D-ring for attaching a leash, this handle features a short leash integrated into a padded handle, which adds much versatility and convenience.
Meanwhile, the straps are made of dense nylon and stitched with reflective threads. Similarly, on the back, there is a soft pad made of comfy, breathable material.
Further padding is used on the inner side of the chest loop. However, thanks to its sturdy quick-release buckles, the dog harness is very easy to put on and take off.
Finally, it is designed especially for large dogs and comes in three sizes – L, XL, and XXL.
German Shepherd Handle Dog Harness: LifePull
- ▶ EASY TO OPERATE - All the dog vest harness for integral whole and having a handle at dog's upper back helps you maintain control and keep the dogs from...
- ▶ FUNCTIONAL FEATURES -The dog vest harness leash connector D ring on the back is not only perfect to attach a seat belt to keep the dog safe during...
- ▶ EXCELLENT QUALITY - All the dog vest harness mades of highest quality nylon outside,nickel-plated hardware,thick material with soft padding underneath...
First, those looking for the utmost comfort for their pups must take a closer look at the German shepherd handle dog harness by LifePull.
Secondly, this is a soft padded dog harness without a collar part. Meanwhile, it means that you won’t hurt your dog’s neck even if you pull it. Instead, the pressure is applied to the chest.
However, this dog harness is made of durable and tear-resistant nylon straps with a large soft pad on the back and narrower padding along the chest strap from the inside. Also, it is fully adjustable and fits dogs of different sizes.
Moreover, putting it on and taking off is as easy as it can be, thanks to wide straight straps and quick-release buckles.
For dog control, you can use either a D-ring and a leash or a soft handle, which helps to control pulling pups more effectively. Lastly, the German Shepherd Handle dog harness is available in three sizes.
Important Features to Consider When Choosing a German Shepherd Harness
First of all, it’s mandatory to measure your German Shepherd before ordering a dog harness. Also, the core measurements are the neck girth and chest girth.
Approximately, for German shepherd dogs, the neck girth is 18-24 inches, and the chest girth – 24-33 inches.
Similarly, you can find more German shepherd info on professional breeders’ sites. Lastly, females are usually smaller than males.
Firstly, Handle German Shepherd dog harnesses can come with or without padding.
Moreover, soft pads are usually made of breathable mesh material and placed under the chest and back straps.
Also, they make the dog harness more comfortable and reduce the risk of injury.
Besides. padding is useful for sensitive pups or those with skin problems. Finally, for a healthy German shepherd, as a rule, padding is unnecessary.
Firstly, a handle on a German Shepherd dog harness doesn’t replace a leash. Commonly, it is used along with a leash in particular situations.
For example, you may want to use a handle when crossing a road with a non-trained or aggressive dog. Besides, it can be useful for dogs that tend to pull hard.
Back-Clip vs Front-Flip Harnesses
First of all, traditional back-clip dog harnesses feature a single D-ring for a leash on the back. Secondly, Front-flip harnesses, in turn, have a ring on the chest.
However, the latter ones are often used by trainers, as they provide better control over a dog. Also, there are multi-clip harnesses, which are frequently referred to as no-pull systems.